Bi-partisan education advocacy group makes early endorsements; others to follow
Lansing, MI (April 21, 2014) – The Great Lakes Education Project (GLEP) today announced early endorsements in a number of key campaigns for the State Senate and State House of Representatives.
“We’re very proud to endorse these outstanding individuals in these key races,” said Gary Naeyaert, GLEP Executive Director. “Most political elections are hard fought contests. Now is the time for every voter to take a good look at their past records and positions on key issues and make the important decisions about which candidates to support,” Naeyaert continued.
Candidates endorsed today by GLEP include the following:
- Senate District #5: former Rep. Shanelle Jackson (D-Detroit)
- Senate District #16: Rep. Mike Shirkey (R-Clarklake)
- Senate District #25: Sen. Phil Pavlov (R-St. Clair Township)
- Senate District #28: Rep. Peter MacGregor (R-Cannon Township)
- House District #42: Lana Theis (R-Brighton)
- House District #79: Rep. Al Pscholka (R-Stevensville)
- House District #86: Rep. Lisa Posthumus Lyons (R-Alto)
- House District #98: Karl Ieuter (R-Midland)
- House District #107: Rep. Frank Foster (R-Petoskey)
“We’re confident these candidates will be forceful advocates for children in the Michigan Legislature, and we’re pleased to endorse and support their campaigns,” said Beth DeShone, GLEP Advocacy Director.
GLEP’s endorsement process includes an examination of past voting records, personal interviews and results from the organization’s extensive candidate questionnaire. The organization will make additional endorsements in the weeks ahead.